Ad

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Sony NEX-VG10 in the flesh

I finally got to handle an NEX-VG10 yesterday. They had one at the Sony store at the Mall; they said it had only come in that morning.

The first thing that surprised me was how stiff the zoom lens is. I was expecting it to be a bit stiff; maybe like the Canon zoom lens I have on my HDDSLR, but it's much worse than that. Really unusable to zoom while shooting. Sure, using the zoom in narrative work is discouraged, but in documentary and other forms you often use a zoom now and again.

The next thing to surprise me was how uncomfortable it is to hold by the handle; I seemed to want to put my hand where the back support of the handle was located; which didn't work. Because of this, it just felt awkward to hold.

I couldn't judge the camera image much by waving it around in the store, but I wasn't as excited as I thought I would be.

No comments: