Ad

Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Signs of the times

In the third quarter:
  1. spending on home entertainment down 3.2%
  2. spending on DVDs down 13.9%
  3. spending on DVD rentals UP 10%

I own quite a few DVDs, but my purchase rate has gone way down over the last few years, and I'm not sure it's the economy. A lot of the movies I bought in those early days were back-catalog items, not new releases. And to be honest, my purchases of new movies may have been goosed a bit by the fact I was buying quite a few movies regularly.

But then I kind of fell out of the habit.

And I'm not downloading them from the net, and my rental rate hasn't gone up that much either. I think it was just a new technology and a new availability which spurred me to buy things, but now that urge has mostly been satisfied.

I'm resisting saying "they don't make good movies anymore."

No comments: