Ad

Sunday, October 04, 2009

News: October 4

1. Canon Europe has posted some interesting technical information on the Canon 7D, and the WFT-E5 (the wifi transmitter that connects to the bottom of the 7D.)


2. Everyone seems to be shooting demo reels with the 7D. The latest example is: "Vienna is not Beijing" - 4 to 7 A.M short

3. Danfung Dennis is a freelance photojournalist who has covered Afghanistan and Iraq since 2006. He used a Canon 5D to shoot footage for a video on Afghanistan: Obama's War. You can read an interview here. Here's what he said about shooting with the camera:
I am using a new camera called the Cannon [EOS] 5D Mark II, shoots full HD video. I've custom built it so I can rig it onto a steady cam-like device, so that when I am running it will shoot a very smooth, steady picture.

It's a bit tricky because [the Marines are] running, you're running, you're wearing huge amount of equipment, and at the same time you're trying to stay very level and very steady. So it took a lot of practice. I believe I am the first to be using this set up in this situation.

I think more and more docs will be filmed like this because all you need is this camera, your own laptop and some editing skills, and you can put together your own documentary.


4. It looks like Apple will be announcing new iMac's and Mac Mini's shortly (current supplies are limited and some online ads have slipped out.) I'm still hoping for Blu-ray support, but I've been burned before. With Snow Leopard supporting multi-cores more efficiently, perhaps Apple will do something interesting in processors.


No comments: