Ad

Monday, October 20, 2008

Looking at Vimeo

I've been using YouTube for a couple of years to post videos, and I'm generally happy with it; it's easy to use, has a big audience, and you can embed video in other pages easily. And most people seem to have no trouble with it, so if it ain't broke, why fix it?

Except that most stuff I do these days is in HD format, and YouTube doesn't support that yet. I have to letterbox things (or pan-and-scan) before posting them.

So the quest for an alternative begins. Vimeo looks interesting. They support 720P (1280 x 720), and you have the option of a Free Account, or Vimeo Plus, the latter giving you more storage space (500MB vs 2GB), more uploads (1 a week vs unlimited) and other features for $59.95 a year. What? We have to pay?!

While I can't find it on that page, camcorderinfo says that you are limited to 5000 streams. Is that a year? Month? Simultaneously?

Well, I'm going to have to do some experimenting with it to see how it compares to YouTube. There are other options too: CNET: YouTube sucks: 4 sites that do video better

No comments: